Almond milk is the most consumed vegetable milk and is presented as a vegetable alternative to milk of animal origin. Source of fibre, protein, magnesium and vitamin E. What are the benefits of this vegetable drink?
Nutritional and caloric values of almond milk
Alone or to incorporate into a sweet preparation, almond milk is a mixture of crushed almonds with water. Often, commercially, sugar is added. Be sure to read the labels carefully before making your choice.
The almond drink contains much less calcium than cow’s milk (about 10 times less). For a good calcium intake, it is recommended to consume calcium-enriched almond milks and supplement with natural sources of calcium.
read also: Wheat Germ Oil Nutrition Facts and Use
For 100 g of almond milk, unsweetened, unenriched:
|Energy||36,3 g kcal|
|Dietary fiber||<0,5 g|
|Saturated fatty acids||0,31 g|
|Monoinstated fatty acids||2,05|
|Polyinstated fatty acids||0,62|
|Vitamin E||0,96 mg|
The benefits of almond milk
Substitute in case of food intolerances or special diets
Almond milk can be used in everyday consumption. It is particularly interesting as a substitute for cow’s milk in the event of:
- lactose or casein (cow’s milk protein) intolerance;
- for people following a vegan diet;
- for people with a vegan diet;
- for people with cardiovascular risks due to the absence of cholesterol.
read aslo: 10 bienfaits surprenants de la banane sur la sante
It is rich in vitamins and minerals
Almond milk is a source of:
- Calcium ;
- Potassium ;
- Sodium ;
- Antioxidant vitamin E (heat sensitive and often lost during cooking);
- Fibers that promote digestion and facilitate the absorption of fats and sugars in the intestine;
- Essential fatty acids (omega-9) to protect the cardiovascular system and regulate cholesterol levels (lower LDL cholesterol called “bad cholesterol” and increase in HDL-cholesterol called “good cholesterol”)
read also: Papaya Nutrition Facts, Health Benefits, uses, and risks
Almond milk is low in calories
Almond milk is low in calories with around 30 to 40 calories in a glass versus 160 calories in a handful of almonds.
In almond milk, we do not find all the good nutritional qualities exhibited in the composition.
Indeed, good fats (monounsaturated fatty acids), fibers and polyphenols are found in the pulp after mixing and filtration. Only a few monounsaturated fatty acids persist in almond milk. Almond milk is however interesting for its richness in vegetable proteins and magnesium.
read also: 10 Surprising Benefits Of Vitamin B5 for Skin (Pantothenic Acid)
How to choose the right vegetable almond milk?
Almond Milk Identity Card
- Colour: white in colour, almond milk has the same color as milk of animal origin;
- Flavor: the taste of almond milk is similar to that of cow’s milk.
Choosing the right vegetable milk
In the trade, read the labels carefully in order to choose your almond milk without added sugars.
If possible, prioritize almond milk from organic farming.
The organic powder version can be convenient for consumption on the go.
Storage of vegetable milk
Before opening, industrial almond milk can be stored until the expiry date indicated on the packaging at room temperature. Once the packaging is opened, it must be placed in the refrigerator and consumed within 4 to 5 days maximum.
Almond milk is a vegetable drink containing crushed almonds and water. Almond milk terminology is a misnomer, as there is no lactose in this “milk”.
Since 2017, following the judgment of the European Court of Justice (CJEU), the mention of milk is no longer allowed on the packaging for many plants. However, the appellation is authorized for almond milk and coconut milk. We can therefore speak of almond milk or almond drink which correspond to the same product.
Homemade almond milk: the recipe
- 200 g whole organic unshelled almonds;
- 1 liter of mineral water.
Preparation of homemade almond vegetable milk:
- Macerate the almonds in a few centimeters of water for 12 hours at room temperature;
- Blend at high speed, then strain through cheesecloth and squeeze;
- You can then bottle and place in the fridge.
For a sweeter flavor, you can add vanilla powder, honey or a date.
Anti gas advice
Keep the pulp, called okara . You can reuse it to make flour, or freeze it to make:
- des smoothies ;
- cookies ;
- granola cakes.
You can also make a skincare product with the pulp, a homemade mask by mixing it with sweet almond and coconut oil.
Contraindications and allergies to almond milk
In certain situations, the consumption of almond milk requires precautions:
- In case of allergies to nuts, it can cause allergic reactions;
- Almond milk and more generally all vegetable milks should not be consumed by infants before the age of 2, according to the recommendations of ANSES (National Food Safety Agency). This would put the infant at risk of malnutrition.