A hearty, rustic oatmeal cookie is a timeless favorite. These Vegan Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, like my Iced Oatmeal Cookies, contain all of the tastes you love from the standard recipe but with additional chocolate!
The cookies are sweetened with both granulated and brown sugar for a richer flavor, and a dash of cinnamon and vanilla essence make each bite warm and comfortable. They’re perfect for dipping into a glass of homemade oat milk!
read also: 7 Ways to Lower Your Cholesterol Naturally
WHAT KIND OF OATS ARE BEST IN Vegan OATMEAL COOKIES?
The best rolled oats for this recipe are old-fashioned rolled oats. They’ll provide the cookies a soft and chewy texture while also aiding in the adhesion of all of the components. If you just have quick oats on hand, that will suffice.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Make the flax egg first. While it rests, combine the vegan butter and sweeteners. Mix in the flax egg and vanilla extract.
Combine the dry and wet ingredients until the dough is barely mixed. Finally, using a spatula, fold in the chocolate chips. Refrigerate the cookie dough for at least 30 minutes after covering it with plastic wrap (this is necessary to keep the cookies from spreading too much in the oven.)
After that, scoop 1.5 teaspoons of dough from the bowl and place it on a cookie sheet that has been prepped. Allow a little space between each cookie so they don’t touch when you gently push them down.
Bake the oatmeal chocolate chip cookies until set and then let them cool completely. They’ll firm up on the outside and still taste sweet and soft on the inside!
read also: 10 Amazing, cute things to buy on amazon Now
MORE MIX-INS for perfect VEGAN OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Get creative with your cookies! They’d be delicious with any of these fun mix-ins:
- Dried fruit – Use raisins, cranberries, or other dried fruit in place of the chocolate chips, if that’s your thing!
- Nuts – Add in 3/4 cup of chopped walnuts or any other kind of nut you like.
- Peanut butter – Replace the vegan butter in the dough with creamy peanut butter.
- Spices – Add a pinch of nutmeg to make the cookies extra comforting.
- Chocolate – I like to use vegan semi-sweet chocolate chips from Enjoy Life, Trader Joe’s, or Costco. You can also use a dairy free dark chocolate bar and chop it into chunks.
SUBSTITUTIONS baking VEGAN OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Gluten free – Use a 1:1 gluten free flour blend to replace the all purpose flour and make sure your rolled or quick oats are certified gluten free.
- Oil free – Use applesauce, peanut butter, or pureed pumpkin instead of the vegan butter.
- No flaxseed? Replace it with chia seeds, a vegan egg replacer, or a mashed banana instead.
MAKE VEGAN OATMEAL CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Before baking, the cookie dough can be made and refrigerated for up to 4 days. Leave it in your mixing basin with a lid or plastic wrap.
Alternatively, you may freeze the cookie dough balls or the completed cookies. Freeze the balls entirely on the baking sheet before transferring them to an airtight container or freezer-safe bag. When it comes time to bake the frozen dough, add 2 minutes to the baking time.